This article will give you complete information on how to change the primary monitor on windows 11. Want to use more than one monitor on windows 11? Then, this article is for you.
Users can connect two or more monitors to their system in any Windows version, with one functioning as the primary monitor and the other as an external monitor. You may also choose which monitors should be used as primary and which should be used as secondary. We’ll show you three distinct and simple techniques on how to change the primary monitor on Windows 11 in this article.
Gamers and broadcasters, on the other hand, frequently employ multi-monitor setups. They’ll be able to keep an eye on the stream’s health on one display while playing games on their secondary high-end monitor. Learn more about dual monitors on Windows 11 in the sections below.
Also Read: How to disable SmartScreen On Windows 11?
Dual Monitor on Windows 11
Microsoft presently supports dual and even multiple displays in all versions of the Windows operating system. This means you may connect several monitors to your computer and show whatever you want to boost productivity and convenience. Multiple monitors are supported by Windows 11, the latest in a long line of Windows operating systems. Multiple monitors are easily supported with Windows 11. Multi-monitor support is a godsend for power users, as it is for the vast majority of them. Your PCs are connected to several displays.
Below I will tell you how to change the primary monitor on Windows 11 or even you can apply it in any window.
When you connect more than one monitor to a laptop running the Windows Operating System, Windows assigns one of the monitors as the primary monitor (in nearly all cases, this is the monitor that was connected to the laptop first) and the remaining video display units as secondary, tertiary, and so on. The default screen on which Windows displays everything is the number one monitor, which is why knowing which display connected to your laptop you need to be the number one display is so crucial.
Thankfully, Windows 11 now not only allows customers with multiple video display units to choose their primary display at any time, but the process is also fairly easy.
You may change the appearance of the desktop on the display. These are the many options that you have.
- On a PC screen, you can only see one object at a time.
- Duplicate: See what’s on all of your screens at the same time.
- Extend: View your desktop on several screens
- Only on the second screen: On the second monitor, you can see everything.
Most of the time, you’ll want to utilise your monitors in extended mode and choose one as the main or primary display. The clock and taskbar corner icons are displayed on the primary display, which also acts as the current desktop. The sign-in message is displayed on the active display, and all apps and objects are launched immediately on the active or main display.
Follow the steps below to change the primary monitor on Windows 11:
Method 1. Set a Monitor as Default Display on Windows 11 via AMD Radeon Settings
You can also change the primary monitor on Windows 11 with the help of AMD Radeon Settings. But you have to keep in mind that this option is only accessible if you have AMD graphics and drivers installed on your PC.
- Open the AMD Radeon Settings application.
- Select the Display Number you wish to be the main display by clicking on Display.
- Enable the Preferred Display button by toggling it on.
- That’s all there is to it; you can now dismiss the AMD Radeon Settings.
Method 2. Change the Primary Monitor on Windows 11 via Settings
When using Windows with two monitors, it’s always best to utilize the expand mode and have one display as the main or primary display, as described above.
Follow the steps below to change the primary monitor on windows 11 through settings:
- Using the ‘Windows + I‘ shortcut keys, open the Settings app.
- Select ‘Display‘ from the right pane of your screen in the Windows Settings box, then click ‘System‘ from the left pane.
- There are two displays in the Display window. The ‘Identify’ button may be used to identify each monitor by number. Then, as noted below, pick the option to Extend these displays.
- Finally, select the display you wish to use as your main or primary display and tick the box labelled “Make this my main display.”
This will swap your app icons and make it the primary display right away. In certain situations, you’ll have to restart to view all of the program icons and the clock on the main display.
Method 3. Change The Main Display on Windows 11 using NVIDIA Control Panel
As described above that you can change the primary monitor on windows 11 with the help of AMD Settings. Moreover, here also you can change the primary monitor screen on Windows 11 through NVIDIA Control Panel.
If you have NVIDIA graphics and drivers installed, you may use this option.
- Navigate to the ‘NVIDIA Control Panel.’
- To set up numerous displays, go to the ‘Set up multiple displays‘ link.
- Become primary by right-clicking on the display number you wish to make the main display, then clicking/tapping on Apply.
- That concludes our discussion. The NVIDIA Control Panel may now be closed.
That’s all there is to it! Using three distinct methods, this tutorial demonstrated how to establish or change the primary monitor on Windows 11 with multiple screens. We hope you find this information helpful. Please let us know if you have any queries in the comments area below.
More to read: