How to Play iPhone Dolby Vision Videos on the Apple TV 4K? One of the new camera features of iPhone 12 Pro / Pro Max is the ability to record video at 60 frames per second in Dolby Vision (up to 30 frames per second on iPhone 12 / Mini). With the new Apple TV 4K, you can watch Dolby Vision HDR videos at high frame rates on the big screen of your iPhone. In this article, I will show you how to play iPhone Dolby Vision videos on the Apple TV 4K.
What is Dolby Vision on iPhone?
According to Apple, it takes approximately 440MB to record 1 minute of Dolby Vision video on the iPhone 12 Pro (4K 60fps, 10-bit HDR). So it may not be the format you want to record all the time, but it is a good choice.
At the same time, using the iPhone 12 Pro with Dolby Vision (4K 60fps, 10-bit HDR) to take about one minute of photos requires about 440MB of storage space, which is a lot, so this is not the format you need often Capture, but worth using in some situations, is a good choice. Shooting at 60 frames per second Dolby Vision is best for action shooting, it can also help you capture richer colors, and the lens should look “more realistic than ever.”
Apple TV 4K generation and AirPlay support high frame rate HDR, so you can watch Dolby Vision video from iPhone 12 Pro on the TV at 60 frames per second.
How to play iPhone Dolby Vision videos on the Apple TV 4K (2021 Model)
- First, you need to ensure you are shooting in Dolby Vision on your iPhone 12 Pro or the iPhone 12 Pro Max. For this, you need to go to Settings first.
- Next, go down and select Camera.
- Now, tap on Record Video.
- For Dolby Vision, you need to select 4k at 60fps and you also need to turn HDR Video on. On the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 mini, Dolby Vision it available at 30fps only. You can toggle between 4K at 60fps or 4K at 24 or 30fps. There is also an option for 1080p in 60fps or 30fps.
- Now, open the Photos app, to check which of your existing videos on your iPhone are Dolby Vision, look for HDR in the top left corner.
- Now, if you want to play Dolby Vision videos on your Apple TV 4K, open Control Center (pull down from the top right corner).
- Next, tap on Screen Mirroring.
- Now, find and select your Apple TV 4K.
- Finally, Press play on your video.
That’s all! The following is how to play iPhone Dolby Vision videos on the Apple TV 4K and watch HD videos on the big screen.
In addition to play iPhone Dolby Vision videos on the Apple TV 4K, Apple also cooperates with content providers to transmit HDR content at high frame rates. Apple works with companies such as FOX Sports, NBCUniversal, Paramount+, Red Bull TV and Canal+ to play HDR at high frame rates.